"My mind sees that I am nothing, my heart sees that I am everything, between these two poles my life unfolds."

Friday, November 26, 2010

The Master of Horror



I've been sidelined this week with a book that's not on my 'What I'm Reading' list.

I purchased Stephen King's latest book, Under the Dome, in September and it had been calling to me from the shelf I'd set it on ever since. I try not to have too many books on the go, but find when chatting with other 'readers' that they also have 3, 4 or even 5 books they're working on. I am approximately halfway, it's 1074 pages, and it's been fair (not great) so far. In true Stephen King fashion, it's way too long and far too many of the characters are loathsome - I give it a 6 out of 10 so far.  I read that it's slated to be turned into a TV mini-series and can see this being a very successful venture - the premise is very original and the tensions between the towns folk under the Dome certainly are beginning to strain. No one knows what the Dome is, who is responsible for it's existence, or how long they will be trapped underneath it - the US military just fired a cruise missile hoping it would budge, to no avail. I'll give you my final analysis once I'm finished.




I've read a number of King's novels in the last 2 years.


You know it's a good book when you pick it up
and basically don't put it back down until it's done.
It got kind of wet in the shower lol!

Did not enjoy this one at all - way too long and (I hate to say it but) corny.
I read the entire book, except the final chapter - I just didn't care anymore. 

After Insomnia Stephen redeemed himself with this one.
It was part autobiography and part how-to.
Both humorous and touching throughout; I plan to read it again. 
Remember this one?
A true classic, this is the first 'adult' book I ever read.
I remember how truly terrified I was; the covers tucked up under my chin.
It certainly set the bar for me in horror.

No comments: