"My mind sees that I am nothing, my heart sees that I am everything, between these two poles my life unfolds."

Friday, November 12, 2010

I'm dreaming of a new book...

Well, I was in Chapters yesterday and heard my first Christmas carol - Frosty the Snowman.  I wasn't the only one rolling my eyes - everyone around me was in agreement: waayyy too early. I enjoyed looking around nonetheless - Chapters is full to the rafters right now with not only books, but everything from organic socks to herb-garden kits. Here's a few books I've added to my ongoing wish list:

1.

Graeme Gibson has published a companion to his highly successful Bedside Book of Birds (see my 'What I'm Reading' section).  I had a good look through this book and it is lovely.  Like his previous work, it presents myths, fables, poetry, and excerpts from numerous sources including travel writings, sacred texts and works of fiction, which explore the relationship between predator and prey.  I would buy this book purely for it's visual appeal.



2.  This next book would be a great addition to my unique cookbooks section.  It's a collection of 31 recipes and amazing illustrations which are inspired by the scoundrels of literature and fairy tales.  A few examples of the recipes include The Big Bad Wolf - Pigs in a Blanket and Long John Silver - Sea Biscuits.


The striking illustrations throughout are by Jean-Francois Martin 


I loved this - hopefully I won't have to wait too long for it to turn up in Goodwill...that, or they come out with a soft cover edition.



3.

Nora Ephron is a screenwriter, film director and novelist best known for creating When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle and Silkwood.  I read her last book, I Feel Bad About My Neck, which was a very humorous look at aging (she's now 69).  I Remember Nothing is pretty much along the same line ie: wry 'later-life' observations.  I won't purchase this one until the soft-cover is released. Interestingly, on the way to Chapters I listened to Jian Ghomeshi on CBC Radio One interview Nora - I am a regular listener, so I knew this was on for Thursday's broadcast.  If you haven't caught Jian's show I highly recommend it - this past Tuesday he interviewed Bob Geldof and Wednesday was Elton John.  Nora is also a frequent Huffington Post blogger and I enjoy her posts.

One thing I did pick up was the 2011 Harrowsmith Truly Canadian Almanac. The cover states that it is 'the first home-grown almanac for country dwellers' - I really don't see that this matters though - I'm currently a city mouse, but have lived in small towns for most of my life and on an acreage at one point for many years.  In fact, this book is chock-full of interesting tidbits which I think most everyone would find interesting - so stay tuned!


Have a relaxing weekend & hope to see you all on Monday.


No comments: