"My mind sees that I am nothing, my heart sees that I am everything, between these two poles my life unfolds."

Monday, March 28, 2011



"Someone once told me that we buy so many books 
because we think we are buying the time to read them."

Monday greetings! After yesterday's musings about collecting books, Huffington Post had a slideshow in their Books section which featured responses to a question Penguin Books recently twittered, "So who is up for admitting what books they should have read by now?" I thought it a very interesting question and I really liked the above comment from one reader. So, I have decided to be honest with you about three books I should have read by now but haven't; there are more, but three should suffice!

1. I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou is an autobiography I picked up last July at a second-hand store in Nelson BC. At the time I was travelling with my husband and while he attended to his business meeting, I eagerly headed back to our hotel room a) to get out of the blistering heat and b) to start this book. While I completely loved the first few chapters I read that afternoon, I have somehow never managed to get any further, in fact I don't think I've ever cracked the cover since. At one point I had it listed on this blog under the Books I am Reading section. In the meantime, I've easily read over twenty other books. Mystifying.

2. Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austen was purchased second-hand two years ago because I thought I ought to, seeing as it's always on those lists of books one needs to read before they die. I've tried numerous times to plow through it, but if I'm being perfectly honest I don't see what all the fuss is about and I will likely never finish it. I don't like the writing and I loathe love stories. Scandalous.

3. Cannery Row and The Pearl, John Steinbeck were purchased together new over three years ago after a marathon reading of The Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden. I loved, loved, loved them and at the time couldn't wait to devour everything he'd ever written...perhaps I'd od'd and didn't realize it! Not surprising.

So there you have it; the books and my excuses reasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - and leaving your comments! I love reading them :)