"My mind sees that I am nothing, my heart sees that I am everything, between these two poles my life unfolds."

Thursday, March 24, 2011

See the glass mug as already broken; and everything else too



Greetings! I had planned to unveil my new coffee mug (which I was, I hasten to add, beyond tickled pink by) sometime in the next few days, but as you can see life (& my butter fingers) beat me to it! It was fun while it lasted though, and I quite enjoyed the look on my husband's face as he sat across the couch from me having his morning coffee. It was exactly as I'd imagined lol. After it fell I was immediately reminded of the Buddhist teaching to see 'stuff' as already broken and I have to agree that this truly helps to put things into perspective:


The essence of this teaching is that all of life is in a constant state of change. Everything has a beginning and everything has an end. Every tree begins with a seed and will eventually transform back into the earth. Every rock is formed and every rock will vanish. In our modern world, this means that every car, every machine, every piece of clothing is created and all will wear out and crumble; it's only a matter of when. Our bodies are born and they will die. A glass is created and will eventually break.

There is peace to be found in this teaching. When you expect something to break, you're not surprised or disappointed when it does. Instead of becoming immobilized when something is destroyed, you feel grateful for the time you have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - and leaving your comments! I love reading them :)