"My mind sees that I am nothing, my heart sees that I am everything, between these two poles my life unfolds."

Sunday, April 3, 2011


A heads up for all you stargazers: April through May, the planet Saturn will be closest to the Earth in it's orbit and visible to the naked eye. Monday, however, will be the brightest night because Saturn will be at it's opposition
When the Earth is directly between the sun and another planet, it places that planet in astronomical opposition, thereby providing an excellent view. 
The planet and it's rings will appear much brighter due to the lack of shadows in the ice particles that make up the rings, which then in turn reflect sunlight back toward the Earth (known as the Seeliger Effect). Nasa has an interesting article re this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - and leaving your comments! I love reading them :)