"My mind sees that I am nothing, my heart sees that I am everything, between these two poles my life unfolds."

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

National Flag Day



A terrific Tuesday to all. I trust you survived Valentine's Day and didn't eat too many chocolates :) The above picture was taken in Kingston, Ontario this past fall 2010 on a luncheon cruise through the Thousand Islands. If you ever have the opportunity to take this tour do not pass it up; the scenery is gorgeous. The reason I've posted it is that February 15th is National Flag Day in Canada. This has been officially observed since 1996 and marks the day in 1965 when our red and white maple leaf was first raised over Parliament Hill in Ottawa and hundreds of communities across Canada. I have posted video footage of that event below. As you may well imagine, there had been considerable debate regarding the flag's design. Also, here are a few more pics from that same cruise. Wishing you all a good day, and being that Canada is also officially a bilingual nation, Bonne journée as well. 













2 comments:

  1. Such a great specimen of the majestic maple tree!

    I really love the look of the stone lion on guard.

    Notice the crest or coat of arms on the front of the building in picture #4 as well as the round windows up at the top that look like port holes.

    Really great photography there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) I think the building in pic #4 looks like something out of a Disney movie. I was noting that I could see a number American flags in these pics lol - kind of ironic seeing as it was a post re National Flag Day in Canada!

    ReplyDelete