"My mind sees that I am nothing, my heart sees that I am everything, between these two poles my life unfolds."

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

48 and holding...!


Yesterday I endured celebrated another birthday. Wouldn't it be fun to go back in time to the years when our birthdays were eagerly anticipated? I truly wonder what I'll be thinking two years from now after having passed the big 5-0... I have a number of friends already in their fifties and they seem to have survived the shock!

 Here's my little pity party!

Part of the afternoon was spent in my office drinking coffee, reading, contemplating life and eating chocolate (hehe - it was my birthday afterall). We've been enjoying gorgeous weather, although we are still in desperate need of rain. To answer those who are wondering: yes, rain or shine I wear my rubber boots when I am in the backyard - that way I don't have to worry about something crawling up my leg or biting an ankle lol! 

Last night we went to a Bachman-Turner/Paul Rodgers concert. These rockers are in their 60's - Randy and Fred are actually closer to 70 - so there's a bit of encouragement for us all. 

This pic was in the Edmonton Journal this morning -
they were fantastic - I don't see retirement in their near futures.

Are gifts important as we get older? They aren't to me, but they are appreciated :) Especially when they are the very thing you are drooling over. A dear friend surprised me with this trinket box from a local antique mall - she had been with me when I tore myself away from it a few weekends ago. 

 The fronts of each drawer are slate.

They're quite deep, wonder what I'll end up storing in them?
I'm currently reading through the Harry Potter series;
perhaps some Horehound, Lemon Balm & Hyssop...
one never knows when a spell might come in handy!

Some of my birthday money was spent on two of these, my tastes are simple: rustic and used lol! 
I plan to house seasonal displays in them. 
I don't know about you, but the outside of my place could use something
to help brighten it up during the long winter months.
Here's Emma eagerly inspecting ;)

I stumbled across this new release today in my travels.



Too funny! I happen to be one of the last people in North America who doesn't have a cell phone, so I am definitely not a "texting parent". Perhaps I should get one - how am I going to remain 'hip' as I get older? Realistically though, I recognize it's probably already too late! That's okay; different priorities are now in place. You know, getting older is actually a very liberating experience:


WHEN I AM AN OLD WOMAN I SHALL WEAR PURPLE

With a red hat which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I’m tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people’s gardens
And learn to spit

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickles for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - and leaving your comments! I love reading them :)