"My mind sees that I am nothing, my heart sees that I am everything, between these two poles my life unfolds."

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Will you walk into my parlour?

Beauty can be found in the most unlikely of places. This doesn't make them any less scary, (or maybe it does?) but I think these pictures go a long way towards disproving the stereotype about spiders being ugly. All of these spiders are known as the Jumping Spider (aka Salticidae).

One interesting fact: Jumping spiders are known for their curiosity. If approached by a human hand, instead of scuttling away to safety as most spiders do, the jumping spider will usually leap and turn to face the hand. Further approach may result in the spider jumping backwards while still eyeing the hand. The tiny creature will even raise it's forelimbs and "hold its ground." Because of this contrast to other arachnids, the jumping spider is regarded as "curious" as it is interested in whatever approaches it.


Jewelly eyes - maybe this little guy should be Jane's Jewels new mascot!




This one seems to be eyeing the camera very suspiciously!






No comments: