"My mind sees that I am nothing, my heart sees that I am everything, between these two poles my life unfolds."

Monday, December 13, 2010

This is NOT Your Mother's Blog!

Never say never. I have been asked numerous times if I planned to put up any recipes, to which I have emphatically stated "No, it's not that kind of blog!" Thankfully, it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind.

Layered Cheddar Potato Pie



This is a comfort food I've been making on a regular basis (after numerous tweaks) for the past year. It's a great recipe easily whipped up with very simple ingredients. Always best if you can use your own pastry, but as you can see, I didn't have any of my own on hand. Good for everyday; but I have also served it to guests to very favorable reviews. 




Saute 2-3 cups (depends on the size of the pie crust you are using) of very thinly sliced potatoes in olive oil for a good 10 minutes on medium-high heat (that translates to 325 degrees on my electric frying pan). You want to really brown them up. Add more oil as you go along if necessary. I use a golden yellow potato for this dish; Yukon Gold or Adora.




Once the potatoes are pretty much done, add a medium-sized onion and 1 small red pepper and continue to saute until the onion is softened.




Add the parsley, paprika & 1/2 salt & pepper just before the potatoes are done. I then remove from heat to another dish until cooled down (approx. 1/2 hr). Enlarge the above photo to get an idea of how browned the potatoes should be.




While the potatoes are cooling, preheat your oven to 450 degrees, grate the cheese and mix-up your egg mixture (egg, milk, hot sauce and other half of salt & pepper). 




This is also a good time for a fast clean-up! My dishwasher was already full and in mid-cycle.




Quickly layer the potato mixture into the frozen pie shell, carefully pour in the egg mixture, lifting up the lower layers of potatoes as you pour it in, and then jiggle the pie shell to settle things. Sprinkle on the grated cheese.




After 15 minutes, turn down your oven to 350 degrees for the last 1/2 hour.




The finished product. Enlarge the picture to fully appreciate how good this pie looks, or better yet, make one for yourself.


Layered Cheddar Potato Pie

2 tbsp. oil
2-3 cups thinly sliced potatoes
1 medium onion sliced
1 medium red pepper chopped
1 tsp salt (divided)
pepper to taste
1 tsp paprika (smoked if you have it)
3 tbsp chopped parsley (fresh is best)
5 eggs
1/2 cup milk
hot sauce to taste (I use 2 tsp Frank's Hot Sauce)
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 frozen pie shell 

15 minutes @ 450 degrees preheated oven,
 then 30 minutes @ 350 degrees

Bon Appetit!


No comments: